1744-1826 Mary Mercer Trust Charter School
In the main street in Rathcoole stands Glebe House now in poor condition awaiting planning decisions re its future, many remember it as the Winter Home of Duffy’s Circus and Mc Cormac Amusements in the 60’s and 70’s .and before that, as the name suggests it was the Church of Ireland Rectory for the vicar of Rathcoole Church for many years. However the building has much longer and more interesting history, it was in fact the location of Rathcoole’s Mary Mercer Trust Charter school for Girls from 1744 till 1826 prior to their move to Castleknock.
Rathcoole, Dublin. Year 1840.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis
RATHCOOLE, a post-town and parish, in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road to Naas; containing 1409 inhabitants, of which number, 602 are in the town. This place, anciently called "Radcull," appears from, various records to have been incorporated prior to the time of Hen. III., and to have had burgesses. In the 24th of that reign (1240), it is recorded that "Lucas, Archbishop of Dublin, grants to the burgesses of Radcull common of pasture and turbary in the mountain of Slescol with his men of Newcastle near Lyons, at 4s. per annum."
1846 Rathcoole Dispensary Report
1844-1864 Griffiths Valuation Rathcoole Main Street
People who lived on Main Street village of Rathcoole 1844-64 Griffiths Valuation
Map of Rathcoole main street land area is marked as area 72 on the map below
Rathcoole in 1844 had a National School at Dublin end of Town opposite Church sponsored by David La Touche and a Glebe house beside the church. A Dispensary with doctor funded by chartable donations was located in centre of town. At Nass end of town, Police barracks, animal pound and poitin still which was a lodging house for Drovers can be seen. St Bridgets well (St bridget was said to have drunk from the well on her way to Nass) can be seen marked in the grounds at the rear of the then vacant Mercer school being rented by William Borne from Mercer Charity Trust. Below is extract from ledger, showing who resised in each house, who owned the property, details of the holding and land size in acres, roods and perches.
First Transatlantic Flight From Ireland to USA
First East-West Atlantic Crossing, Bremen Aircraft
In 1928 on April 12 the name South Dublin runway Baldonnel Airdrome echoed across the world when Commandant James Fitzmaurice joined Baron Húnefeld and Hermann Kóhl in their Junckers W33 “Bremen Aircraft” as they took off on what would be the first east-west aircraft crossing of the Atlantic.
Almost 37 hours later the trip landed to a rapturous welcome on Greenly Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence in Newfoundland, Canada.
Kennedy Family Johnstown Estate History
The Kennedy baronets owned 1,447 acres of land in county dublin.
JOHNSTOWN KENNEDY HOUSE, Rathcoole, County Dublin, was a plain, three-storey Georgian house.
Rathcoole Historical Walking Tour
Taking in the village’s Ecclesiastical, revolutionary and natural places of interest.
Distance: Approximately 2.5 km.
Our first stop in the walk is ① Rathcoole Park which is accessible either from the Beechwood Lawns housing estate beside the bus stop, or either of two entrances opposite Avoca. If time permits, the park is worth investigating; among its attractions is a pair of interconnected lakes fed by the Camac river.
Exit the park at the gates beyond the lakes, head back to the main road and turn left heading into the village for 240 metres.
On the left will be revealed the rear of the historic, and now sadly derelict,
② Rathcoole House.
Rathcoole Church Clondalkin Parish Book Extract 3
Rathcoole Village and Church
This chapter deals briefly with the village of Rathcoole; St. John's sister church in Rathcoole and her clerics over the years; and St. Maelruain's church, Tallaght, formerly in a Union with Clondalkin and Rathcoole.
VOL. LXXIII, PART III (VOL. XIII, SEVENTH SERIES)
RATHCOOLE, CO. DUBLIN, AND ITS NEIGHBOURHOOD.
Notes on Place-names, Topography and Traditions.
By Liam Ua Broin, Member.
OLD maps of the Rathcoole neighbourhood, a list of which is given on pages 96-97, have preserved a number of local place-names : some of these are still remembered, others have been altogether lost. In the following paper I have noted the more interesting of these names, and an attempt has been made to offer an explanation of some of them ; I have inserted some local traditions, and details about such matters as the building of roads and bridges. The reader may be referred to the Ordnance Survey Letters for County Dublin for information collected in the year 1838 by Eugene O Curry about some of the antiquarian remains in the district.